4.10.2011

of a wave



without thought
the meanings slide into
deeper understandings
words thought become heard
laughter in the wake of
simultaneous combustion
eyes up, face front
guard down, acceptant
willfully unarmed
knowing that intention and
realization are planetary
constantly in rotation
about whatever looks
like a sun
something to dance with
an opposite that breeds
itself through exposure
teachings untethered tide


XLVII

I was born just thirty years ago, 
but I've wandered a million miles already. 
Along the River through the green grass on the 
     banks, 
out to the borderlands, where the red dust roils. 
Chewed herbs, cooked up alchemical elixirs, 
trying to become an Immortal. 
Read all the Writings, chanted the Histories 
     aloud, 
trying to learn them all by heart...
Today I'm on my way 
home to Cold Mountain. 
There, I'll bed down in the creek, just to wash out
     my ears 

LIV

Sun's yang light failing, down the Western Peak;
the grasses caught the light, and flowered with it. 
And again, the dark came on, moon waiting like a 
     hidden dragon, 
among the intertwining branches of vine-covered 
     pines. 
Here, just here, a tiger waited, 
bristling, hackles up, to meet me. 
Not a pen knife in my hand, 
I tried, I tried to know no fear, 
but my heart was all ears, all ears. 

Poems: "of a wave," by Robert Lescatre; "XLVII" and "LIV" by Hanshan from his collection "Cold Mountain Poems." 
Photo: Rawlings "Ozzie Smith Gamer" currently valued at $12,500.

No comments: