10.22.2008

from XI

























from XI
...
Shining spring rain 
O scud steaming up out of the deep sea
full of portents of sundown and islands, 
beat upon my forehead 
beat upon my face and neck
glisten on my outstretched hands, 
run bright lilac streams
through the clogged channels of my brain
corrode the clicking cogs the little angles
the small mistrustful mirrors 
scatter the shrill tiny creaking 
of mustnot darenot cannot 
spatter the varnish off me 
that I may stand up 
my face to the wet wind 
and feel my body 
and drenched salty palpitant April 
reborn in my flesh. 

I would spit the dust out of my mouth
burst out of these stiff wire webs
supple incautious 
like the crocuses that spurt up too soon
their saffron flames
and die gloriously in late blizzards 
and leave no seed. 
Off Pico 

Poem: John Dos Passos from the poem XI, Phases of the Moon, which is part of his book "Pushcart to the Curb" 1922.
Photo: JG

No comments: